Coronavirus Alert (2)

To all participants of the Transit Employees' Health & Welfare Plan:

During this outbreak of the coronavirus, the Health & Welfare office staff is working from their homes. We continue to stand ready to serve the needs of our Local 689 members. Our primary contact information remains the same. For more information contact the office:

  • By phone: 301-568-2294
  • By fax: 301-568-7302
  • By email:

And please continue to check this website for more updates and information.

The best source for information about the coronavirus outbreak is the web site of the Centers for Disease Control.

Meanwhile, our thoughts are with those who must continue to serve the public transit needs of our community during this difficult time. Be safe.

Read all news

FAQs Icon


Do my spouse and I need to sign up for Medicare?

When you or your spouse becomes eligible for Medi­care, you should enroll in Medicare Parts A and B. For most people, enrollment in Medicare Part A is automatic (there is no premium) when you start receiving benefits from Social Security. You should sign up for Medicare Part B with the Social Security office three months before turning 65. Your monthly premium to Medicare for Part B will be deducted from your Social Security check.

When you become eligible, you are not required to enroll in Medicare Part B, but benefits will be paid by the Plan as if you are enrolled. This means that, if you do not enroll, you or your spouse will have higher expenses because you will be responsible for paying for the benefits Medicare Part B would have covered. After you submit evidence of your Part B enrollment for yourself or your dependent, your HEALTH & WELFARE Plan premium will be reduced. For more information, visit the "If You Become Eligible for Medicare" section on the Life Events page.

View All FAQs